Skip to main content

Song to teach figurative language


So we are covering figurative language in my class right now. 

It is interesting to me that my kids have the exact same reaction each year to the exact same things. 

I don't know why this is. If it is just that all 8th graders are drastically different but essentially the same, but I think it is weird!

There is one song in particular that I love to use to teach figurative language. It is also one of my top five personal favorite songs. 

The song is "The Lighthouse's Tale" by Nickel Creek. 

It has a lot of great figurative language to identify and would be great for teaching plot as well. 

Before I play any songs in my classroom I talk to my class about the fact that I choose songs from my classroom from a variety of genres and even if they don't particularly like something they need to try to find the value in it and be respectful. 

However, Every. Single. Year. when I first start this song the students start to complain and mock because it sounds kinda folksy. By the middle of the song the entire room goes quiet and by the end there is a shocked silence that fills the room. 

It is a really touching and pretty song told from the point of view of a lighthouse.

A man and his fiancee live within the lighthouse who loves them more than anything in the world. 

One night the woman goes out to see and both the lighthouse and the man watch as she dies at sea unable to help. 

The lighthouse then has to watch helplessly as the man buries his fiancee and then uses him to jump to his death. 

The whole notion of the lighthouse having to watch all of this happen to the people he loves most in the world without being able to stop it and then has to stand alone stoically afterwards gets to me every year. 

I guess it gets to the kids as well. 

Check out the song for yourself below and let me know if it gets to you as well!

If you are looking for some new and fun ways to teach figurative language check out these items in my store by clicking HERE








SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...