Skip to main content

Middle School Classroom Jobs System



The last two years I "hired" kids to update my chalk board during bus waves each afternoon. 

That worked out well, but I decided to add some extra jobs this year, and open the jobs up to anyone who wished to participate. 

I printed out the jobs that I offer to kids most frequently and put magnetic tape on the back of them.

Each day I put up the jobs that need to be done up on the board. 

If a kid wants to do one of the jobs he/she takes it down and places it in the basket that I have provided. 
I need a new camera! Blurry picture of all the current jobs I have kids doing.

The basket they place completed jobs


Jobs I offer:
-Change the daily agenda and SOL objective

-Update the vocab word of the day and wall
Agenda is seen above
Daily Standard & Vocab Word
I have the student write the vocab words on an index card and place on the word awl

Organize the class books
I don't like when books are falling down and out of order (like a few in this picture are!)

Clean / line up the desks

I hate, hate, hate that students cant keep the desks where I want them! How do the move so much over the course of a day?! A few times a week I have the kids line them up. On Fridays we sanitize them (ick!).

Organize files
Each of my classes has a milk crate in which they have a hanging folder and a manila folder. ALL work is kept in those folders and should theoretically never leave my classroom (Unless they are studying for RPS or a quiz). At the end of each grading period they can take the old work home. However, hanging files are finicky so I ask students to check to make sure they are all hanging neatly!

Staple Papers
Sometimes (most of the time) our copy machine is out of staples and I can't stand the thought of stapling 95+ papers multiple times so I have a kid do it. I let them use my trusty automatic stapler that I LOVE and has been trucking along  with me for the last 6 years! My little buddy can be seen on the far left!

I give a punch on my reward card for each completed job so I am never short for helpers!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...