Skip to main content

Middle School Classroom Jobs System



The last two years I "hired" kids to update my chalk board during bus waves each afternoon. 

That worked out well, but I decided to add some extra jobs this year, and open the jobs up to anyone who wished to participate. 

I printed out the jobs that I offer to kids most frequently and put magnetic tape on the back of them.

Each day I put up the jobs that need to be done up on the board. 

If a kid wants to do one of the jobs he/she takes it down and places it in the basket that I have provided. 
I need a new camera! Blurry picture of all the current jobs I have kids doing.

The basket they place completed jobs


Jobs I offer:
-Change the daily agenda and SOL objective

-Update the vocab word of the day and wall
Agenda is seen above
Daily Standard & Vocab Word
I have the student write the vocab words on an index card and place on the word awl

Organize the class books
I don't like when books are falling down and out of order (like a few in this picture are!)

Clean / line up the desks

I hate, hate, hate that students cant keep the desks where I want them! How do the move so much over the course of a day?! A few times a week I have the kids line them up. On Fridays we sanitize them (ick!).

Organize files
Each of my classes has a milk crate in which they have a hanging folder and a manila folder. ALL work is kept in those folders and should theoretically never leave my classroom (Unless they are studying for RPS or a quiz). At the end of each grading period they can take the old work home. However, hanging files are finicky so I ask students to check to make sure they are all hanging neatly!

Staple Papers
Sometimes (most of the time) our copy machine is out of staples and I can't stand the thought of stapling 95+ papers multiple times so I have a kid do it. I let them use my trusty automatic stapler that I LOVE and has been trucking along  with me for the last 6 years! My little buddy can be seen on the far left!

I give a punch on my reward card for each completed job so I am never short for helpers!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Point of View with Video Games

I was looking for new ways to introduce point of view and I stumbled across a GREAT idea! Using video games! There are tons of video games in different points of view. Halo=First person point of view Mario 64= Second person point of view Tomb Raider=Third person limited point of view The Sims=Third person omniscient point of view A great video overview that I found:

Teacher tip: Paint Your Bulletin Board

One of the things that I hate every. single. year. is putting bulletin board paper up!  It never fits properly and trying to line the various pieces of paper up is so frustrating as well! I tried many different solutions over the years. I tried sheets, I tried fabric, I tried shower curtains.  Finally, I had an idea! PAINT (Cue hallelujah chorus music) I decided to paint my bulletin board with a pretty universal color that would show up in most borders or could transform into a specific background if need be. (I recommend a blue!) I got a quart of pain and a roller and I went to town! It's great! It doesn't need to be replaced, it doesn't fade in the over time, and it can be reused over and over again! 

Lego Rewards for VIPKid or GoGoKid

So I was looking at the facebook groups today and I saw a lady who's daughter made this for the GogoKid lesson "Apple and Banana" and I thought it was just great! :  Every slide (or every time a student does a good job) you could add a few more pieces to creation and have them guess what it is going to be!  I started looking up other simple creations that my students always talk about and compiled a short list below! (Each picture is clickable for instructions on how to make them) I am sure that if you have children you already have these Legos rolling around in your house somewhere causing havoc on your feet. However, if you are like me and don't have kids yet, you might need a little bit of a starter kit! Click the images below to see them on Amazon.