Skip to main content

It's the Great Pumpkin Day!

I would have to say if someone were to ask me what my favorite holiday is I would have to say.....Pumpkin Day. 

What is Pumpkin Day you ask?

Well.....

Our story begins in the fall of 2006. 

I had just started teaching at my current school and had met a group of young teachers like myself. 

We all lived in the same apartment complex so in a way it was like college all over again!

One Saturday I was invited over to my new friend Kate's apartment to carve pumpkins. 

I went and this is what the result was this:

2007
The next year  Jake and Kate had purchased a new house and pumpkin carving took place at their new house (I cannot find my pumpkin pictures from that year!)

2008 
The tradition continued and Kate still likes to talk about how it looks like my witch was squatting to urinate!:



2009 
The tradition being firmly in place we decided to add something new and cook all pumpkin themed foods. 

I believe that this year we made Pumpkin Pasta with sweet sausage

Since then we have made pumpkin:
Chili
Chicken
Mac and Cheese
Bread
Whoopie Pies
Soup
Another type of Pasta
A few more things I am probably forgetting



2010 
Jake decided to go off book and create his own Redskins pattern, Kate made a perverted skeleton with Kate friend, and I made an owl!:




2011 
This year I didn't take pictures for some reason so I just have two cell phone pictures after the fact. We also added a new person to the tradition Jake and Kate's first son Bryce!:


2012 
Last year I decided to try to make my own mummy pattern....it didn't work so I just had what appeared to be squiggles. Kate and Jake made cute faces!:


2013
This year we added Jake and Kate's newest son Evan to the proceeding to round our party out to five!

We also went all out and decided to go with a pumpkin breakfast theme!

I made Carmel Pumpkin Monkey Bread (AMAZING!)
(http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/pumpkin-caramel-monkey-bread/6656c3de-a0cc-40cb-aecc-1c30afbc8dc2)

Kate made pumpkin oatmeal and pumpkin poppers (like donut holes)


My plate before carving consisted of bacon, eggs, pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin popper, and pumpkin monkey bread. Can't top that!


After lunch-ish we got down to carving (You can't carve without carmel apples!)


I made a cyclops while Kate made a trio of Jack 'O Lanterns!





When I got home from pumpkin night I had my new Bark Box in the mail and Inside were pumpkin dog treats! The timing couldn't be better!

 And that is the story of how The Great Pumpkin Day came to be!

***********************

 The reason this day is so important to me is that it is really the only REAL tradition that I have that I can count on from year to year. 

I think I am really 87 at heart and routines and traditions are really important to me. 

However, with all of the other major holidays, I don't have any real solid traditions to look forward to or count on. 

I know for a fact that come mid October I will be at Jake and Kate's house cooking pumpkin food, carving pumpkins, and (now that they have kids) playing with their boys. 

Thus, The Great Pumpkin Day is my favorite "holiday"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...