Skip to main content

Middle School Time Outs


I don't know why there are so many Pinterest pins about dealing with toddlers and elementary school kids temper tantrums/time-outs, but hardly any for middle school kids.

Guess what people? Middle schoolers need time-outs too!

I kept seeing all the pins for all of these "Calm Down Jars" (Click pictures to go to posts)
 Lego Calm Down Jar
 Different Recipes

I decided to try this same concept with my 8th graders.

In days gone by when I thought that a kid needed a "time-out" I have sent students to stand outside of my classroom door with the ambiguous, "Stand outside the door until I come and get you."

Removing the student from the classroom for a time-out has never been an issue, but not having a tangible end to the time-out has always been an issue. I have had student poke their head back in the room after 32 seconds and say, "Can I come back now?" just to disrupt. I have also, on rare occasion, forgotten to end the time out until a student reminds me. 

I think that the calm down bottle is the perfect solution. 

Times to use the calm down bottle:


  • When it is a minor offense. 
  • If a student continually interrupts you.
  • If a student won't stop talking.
  • If a student is about to get in an altercation with another student (pick one)
  • If you think you are about to argue with a student (as opposed to calmly discussing).
  • If class time is being wasted due to a student's behavior.
  • Sometimes I have kids that just need a minute
  • When one of your kids if having a moment like this (or much worse):


Procedure:
(Disclaimer: Kids will already be well aware of the calm down routine)
I will grab one of the calm down bottles and a "need a break card", shake it up, hand it to the student who is in need of a time out, and direct them to the hallway (directly outside my door, no further). The student will be welcome to come back and rejoin class after the glitter has settled to the bottom of the bottle (this takes about 5 minutes).
I am trying to decide if I am going to give the kid a Twix bar to take with them to soften the blow, or if that seems like I am rewarding bad behavior. 

***Note: I had a friend ask me what happens if they shake the bottle again.
****Answer: If the student chooses to shake it again, they are obviously not ready to return to class just yet, but if more than 10 minutes passes and they have not returned, it is time for the teacher to intervene and talk to the student.

Here are what my calm down bottles look like (I used the recipe in the 2nd picture from above):

You cannot see it in the picture but I put little minion guys in the bottles also.

I like the sleek bottles like Voss and the Argo tea bottles, but I am not giving an angry 8th grader glass. Instead I went with bottles I found at The Dollar Tree. I superglued the crap out of the lids also.

I took a video of them too...ugh, that is NOT what my voice sounds like:




If you like the idea of a calm down bottle, but don't want to make one because of all the glitter involved.
I may have tripped and spilled some up the mixture outside so now my back steps look like I killed TinkerBell. 
Still found copious amounts of glitter on me hours later...and this was just my hands! 


I found some other liquid timers online that could serve the same purpose:






Vista Print Template









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...