Skip to main content

Twilight Zone in the Classroom


If you know anything about my teaching style, you know that I love to use movies in my classroom to teach literary elements. Kids get tired of doing the same old assignments for identifying and analyzing these elements so sometimes I have to get creative! I also like introducing students to films (or T.V. shows as the case may be) that they would not normally interact with. 

Enter:

The Twilight Zone

I decided to compile a few of my favorite episodes and what literary elements can be reviewed within each episode. Really any episode of The Twilight Zone will contain most of the literary elements, but I sometimes like to have my students focus on just one.

I was able to find most episodes on both IMDB and Youtube for free and have included those links. 

(Check back tomorrow for a post on how to view Youtube videos in your classroom even if it is blocked at your school!)

Foreshadowing:

“Time Enough at Last”


Foreshadowing Clues:
1. The narration as Bemis is called into his boss’ office
2.     His reading has gotten him in trouble previously (Boss, wife, customers)
3.     His glasses fall off as Helen rips up the novel
4.     Newspaper headline about bomb being capable of total destruction
5.     Continued references to time
6.     He does not seem to care for his glasses very often
7.     He knocks the counter over breaking the glass before he finds the gun.
8.     “If there were only something to do!”
9.     “All the books I’ll EVER need”
10. He starts planning his life in books
11. He mentions that he has ALL the time in the world



Bonus: You can also discuss irony with his glasses breaking at the end and his having ALL the time in the world. 


“Eye of the Beholder”

Foreshadowing Clues:


  1. Why doesn’t the audience see the actor’s faces? They are always hidden or in shadows and silhouettes.
  2. Red Herring foreshadowing with all the references to how “Ugly” the patient is makes us think she will be odd looking to “us”
  3.  Narrator, “Don’t be surprised by what you are about to see.”
  4. We know the society is odd because they mention:
    She wants to “fit” in with society
    They don’t want to spend more money to help
    They won’t let her go outside
    They have segregated off people of her ”kind” like a ghetto or concentration camp
    She can’t live a life around “normal” people
    There are rules against people like her
    Ugliness is a crime
    Doctor is not compassionate and lacking bedside manner
    Doctor is supposed to be careful about saying out loud that people should be allowed to be different
    The “leader” discusses glorious conformity
    Society can terminate undesirables

Flashback:
“To Serve Man”

The story of how our main character came to be aboard the spaceship is told through flashback.


Conflict:
“The Living Doll”
  1. Supernatural/Technology: Father is against the doll which could be considered both technology and supernatural
  2. Character: Father is against daughter and mother who don't want him to get rid of the doll
  3. Character: Father is against the daughter because he makes her feel rejected due to the fact that she is just his "Stepchild"
  4. Character: Father is against mother for buying a doll the daughter doesn't need/can't afford
  5. Self: The mother cannot have children
  6. Self: The daughter goes to therapy because of her feelings of rejection
  7. Self: The father is bitter about his lack of children and his deep seated issues with his family.

Theme: 
“The Monsters are Due on Maple Street”
Potential themes:
  • Fear and suspicion can cause peaceful people to turn on one another.
  • Mankind is its own worst enemy.
  • Prejudices can kill.
  • Suspicion can destroy
  • Thoughtless, frightened searching for a scapegoat will have a fallout.

Fun companion idea:
Have the students read “They’re Made out of Meat” and compare the two stories. 

Symbolism(the masks):
“The Masks”

Jason wants his family to wear masks that are the "opposite" of their personalities. Son-in-law Wilfred, who claims he’s “friendly,” wears the cold, calculating mask; granddaughter Paula, who’s arrogant and selfish and obsessed with her own beauty, wears a mask with a stuck up nose and high cheekbones; and so on. In the end, the masks bring to light each of the family member's true personalities. The masks symbolize who they are on the inside and bring them to the outside where they cannot be hidden.


Some other fun episodes to use for plot/characterization/conflict/theme:

“Nick of Time”:

“The Obsolete Man”


It’s a Good Life”

“Nightmare at 20,000 Feet”

“Five Characters in Search of an Exit”

Fun Companion Idea:

Have the students watch the Felicity  “Help for the Lovelorn” and compare the two. (I know that it is rated TV-14, but I didn’t re-watch that episode to know how appropriate it is for younger audiences).


********************************************************************
I thought that my kids would complain about watching these old black and white episodes, but they really got into them! Although, I may have scared a few for life with "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" but I'm okay with that!


I created some handout for students to fill out that could work for any movie (or in this case, T.V. Show). You can find those:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...