Skip to main content

Teaching Tools I Couldn't Live Without



I have been teaching for over a decade now and there are some tried and true supplies that, if I didn't have them in my classroom anymore, I would be lost without! 


The List

Writing Utensils I Love

 Wine Rack Pen holder


I couldn't survive without my Inkjoy Pens. I use them for everything! I also have my flair pen for a little extra pizzaz. If you have not tried gel highlighters yet, let me tell you...they are awesome! What classroom would be complete without a little metallic sparkle?




Coffee, coffee coffee
Who doesn't need coffee to get them through the day? I have a Mr. Coffee Kcup maker in my classroom. It has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion. I also use my Contigo mugs (I have 7 now) because they keep my coffee hot for HOURS!




I LOATHE chalk....but I love my chalkboard markers!
These have only recently become more mainstream. It used to be next to impossible to find chalkboard markers. I am SOOOO happy that they are now commonplace and easy to find!





Paper Pots
My paper tissue pots have become part of my life at this point. Both of my paper pots were broken this year by the same student (I am still bitter about it) and I need to choose a new one!




Paper Holders
I purchase construction paper holder (it's more cost effective) and use them to hold copies or to use as student cubbies for those who tend to lose EVERYTHING.



Multi pocket Folders and Binder Holder
I use these multi pocket folders to hold my teacher copies of the weekly lessons. I keep my lesson plans in the binder holder and keep it open to the day's lesson plans (in case of administration walk-ins). Yes, that is a dish rack. I use it to hold my folders and some pens.




Duct Tape
I use Duct Tape in all kinds of ways in the classroom, but my personal favorite is to makeover my teacher desk. I have done this in every new classroom I get moved to!



Shoe Organizer
With limited storage space, you sometimes need to get a little creative with your organizational methods. I use different shoe organizers around my classroom to organize my materials. They work great and hold up surprisingly well!




I love my Desk Apprentice from Staples!

http://www.staples.com/Staples-The-Desk-Apprentice-Rotating-Desk-Organizer/product_597003
SaveSave
SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...