Skip to main content

Middle School Classroom Incentive System



So a few years ago I started using a classroom incentive system and it has worked wonders for my students! I revamped my system a little bit last year and thought I would share with you!

I decided that I wanted to teach students a little bit about the value of patience and saving, along with being rewarded for good behavior.

I got a three drawer cart organizer from Target and put scrapbook paper inside and the amount of incentive cards each drawer cost on the front.

The bottom drawer held small items like miniature chocolate bars, bubbles, erasers, balls, pencils. Basically items that were one dollar or under.
The middle drawer held full size candy bars, slime, mechanical pencils, mustache pens. Things that cost one to two dollars.
The top drawer held king size candy bars, blow up balls, sea monkeys, big lollypops. Things that cost between two to four dollars.

I eventually got smart and realized that I could buy a lot of the items for CHEAP for the boxes at Oriental Trading. 

These are the items from Oriental Trading that I had to replace the most for my prize box.

Bottom
Slime was a HUGE hit. This made me happy because I could get LOTS of containers of it for next to nothing. Stick on mustaches became a real trend (middle schoolers are weird). It surprised me how much the kids liked the finger boots and monkeys....but they did!
SaveSave






Middle
Mustache items are always a big hit as well as flying items. Stress balls became a big hit as well as the googly-eyes. I ran out of Pixy Stix CONSTANTLY!




Top
Anything sports related or blow up became a huge hit along with light up items. My kids were WOWed by the giant Pixy Stix!




SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...