Skip to main content

Short Stories from a Middle School Teacher: Batman 2016


Batman 2016!

The school was positively buzzing with anticipation during the 2008 presidential election. Our 8th graders were particularly interested in the election because they were learning about how voting is a civic responsibility. Jensen decided that having the kids participate in a school based election for the president would be a great teaching tool (also, I think he wanted to put it on he resume that he helped run a presidential campaign).

Somehow this small classroom vote turned into a school wide election. Jensen bought 1,000 “I voted” stickers, created ballots, and worked out a whole system to help all the students in school have a hands on experience with the election. We turned his classroom into campaign headquarters. We had live feeds of the election from various new networks playing on mobile carts; we had students collecting and sorting ballots, and we had the students writing about why this election was so historic (either the first African American president or the first female vice president).

As we were working on tallying the votes students kept asking me who I voted for, which I refused to tell them because I didn’t feel it was my place to sway impressionable young minds (I prefer to use my power of persuasion for evil rather than good). The question they posed for me was always the same, “Ms. Potter did you vote for Rock Obama or John McClain? You should vote for Rock Obama.” I just thought to myself each of the 67 Times I heard this, “I am just glad that the majority of my students are going to commit felonies before they have the chance to vote.” I don’t know about you but I don’t want who runs my country decided by people who don’t even know the candidates names.

There was a little bit glimmer of hope that day though. As we were tallying the votes Price and I noticed a growing trend. Of the 849 ballots received we received 49 write in votes for Batman. I think that I could get on board for this in the 2012 election. He is well known, trustworthy, snazzy dresser, and has an easy to pronounce name.

Batman 2016
First Superhero in the White House!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Teaching Point of View with Video Games

I was looking for new ways to introduce point of view and I stumbled across a GREAT idea! Using video games! There are tons of video games in different points of view. Halo=First person point of view Mario 64= Second person point of view Tomb Raider=Third person limited point of view The Sims=Third person omniscient point of view A great video overview that I found:

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...