Skip to main content

Short Stories from a Middle School Teacher: A Modest Proposal


A Modest Proposal
Every year I like to introduce my students to persuasive writing through an Oregon Trail assignment. It is generally my students’ favorite activity of the year which is a plus. We start by reading a piece of historical fiction that explains what the Oregon Trail is and details the hardships of the journey. I then have students create their own wagon parties within the classroom. They then have to research and decide what would be the absolutely essential supplies for the trip and how much money they would need for the trip. The final step is the students have to write a letter to Potter’s Old Time Banking explaining why they need a loan hand then persuading me to loan them the money for the trip.

Some excerpts from my students’ most humorous persuasive letters over the years:

When I get out west I will search the lands for the prettiest tree in the wild. I will then send it back to you and you can display it in your bank. All the other smith will be jealous.

If you don’t loan me the money I will go to all the other people in town and tell them not to use your bank. Giving me a loan is your best bet for staying in business.

Give me the money, or else.

If you don’t loan me the money I might have to eat my family on the journey, and I don’t want to do that.

When the students turn their projects in I printed out labels that either approved or rejected their loans.

Examples: 

:( So So Sorry! :(

Your loan has been denied.

You will have to eat a fellow traveler to survive.

:)Congratulations! :)

Potter’s Old Time Banking has approved your loan.

Good luck on the trail!








There is something about stickers that gets kids adrenaline pumping. I don’t know what it is but someone should do a scientific study on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Teaching Point of View with Video Games

I was looking for new ways to introduce point of view and I stumbled across a GREAT idea! Using video games! There are tons of video games in different points of view. Halo=First person point of view Mario 64= Second person point of view Tomb Raider=Third person limited point of view The Sims=Third person omniscient point of view A great video overview that I found:

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...