Skip to main content

Back to School Candy Grouping and *freebie*


Last year I wanted to start my students off in groups, but that made me a tab bit nervous. I decided to organize the process as much ahead of time as possible.



I decided to assign each group a type of candy and placed a sign at each group.




I then labeled each desk with their type of candy and a number.




Finally, on the first day a school students were handed an index card with a candy and a number which helped them find their group and their seat.




Check out the next few photos for a peek into my classroom!


8x10 group signs, Index cards, labels for each desk
All of my desks were grouped together in pods of 3. Each pod was represented by a different candy. Each desk within the pod was given that candy name and a #. 


When the students walked into the classroom the first day of school they were given an index card. Those index cards have a type of candy and a number. The student found their type of candy in a group of desks and sat at the number on their card. 

 
 I put the signs on picture frame holders from The Dollar Tree at each group because I couldn’t reach the ceiling to hang them like I originally planned. 




Each desk is given a candy label. I then covered them with clear packing tape for durability. This helps to randomize seating on the first day. However, throughout the first few weeks when I am still learning the kids names I can also say things like, “Skittles 2, what would you say the theme of this story was?” 

If you want to group your desks I have provided the files as a *freebie* in my TPT store:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...