Skip to main content

Calm Down Jar Recipe


Yesterday I talked about how I am going to utilize calm down jars in my classroom this year. 
I liked the ones that I made before, but I really didn't like the bottles. I wanted a sleeker look, but I could only find glass bottles. I am sure as heck not giving an 8th grade a glass bottle when they are ticked off. 

Then I visited my friend in a bigger city than mine and found PLASTIC Voss water bottles at World Market and they were perfect!

I decided to give my friends with toddlers my old bottles and remake mine. 

I also wanted to tweak the recipe a bit. I think I finally perfected it to my liking so I thought I would share it with you!

 What you will need for each bottle:

  1. Plastic water bottle (I used Voss)
  2. 4.5 oz glitter glue (The Walmart brand ended up being the best for this)
  3. Glitter in different sizes (I used large, medium, and fine glitter flakes)
  4. 1 cup corn syrup
  5. 2 tablespoons Elmers Gel Glue
  6. 2 cups HOT water
  7. Gorilla Glue



Step one:
  • Pour the glitter into the bottom of the empty bottle. 
  • You can use as little or a much as you like, but I like about 3/4 of an inch.
  • I tried adding the glitter in different ways and it worked best this way for me.  

 Step Two:

  • Pour the 4.5 oz of glitter glue and 1 cup corn syrup into a mixing bowl.
  • Add two cups HOT tap water.
  • Whisk it all together.

I felt kind of like The Pioneer Woman at this moment I gotta say.

 Step Three:
  • While the mixture is still swirling in the mixing bowl, carefully pour it into your water bottle.
  • Make sure you fill it all the way to the top so no air remains.
  • Shake up your bottle vigorously so all the glitter and liquid get to know one another. 
Step Four:
  • Let the bottle sit for awhile until all the glitter falls to the bottom. 
  • If any glitter gets stuck at the top you can use a drop of dish detergent in the water. 

Step Five:


  • Gorilla glue the crap out of the lid so that middle school students don't unscrew the lid. 

  • Step Six:

    • Enjoy!
    •  




    Below are the bottles currently available in my store. If you like one in particular and it is sold out just let me know!










    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    1,000 Pens update

    My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

    Say what? Inference Oops

    So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

    Teaching Point of View with Video Games

    I was looking for new ways to introduce point of view and I stumbled across a GREAT idea! Using video games! There are tons of video games in different points of view. Halo=First person point of view Mario 64= Second person point of view Tomb Raider=Third person limited point of view The Sims=Third person omniscient point of view A great video overview that I found: