Skip to main content

Cell Jail


I decided to make a cell phone "jail" for my classroom this fall.  It is true that I do allow students to listen to music on their phones at certain times during class with specific rules.

My Phone Rules:
  1. iPods/phones are only allowed during individual work time.
  2. I must have expressly stated you may use them.
  3. No one should be able to hear ANY sound from your iPod/phone.
  4. You must have your music set to a playlist (meaning you cannot be scrolling through anything. It must be playing a playlist and on your desk not being touched)
  5. If I signal that it is time to pay attention and rejoin the group, they must be immediately put away. 
  6. If any of these rules are broken iPods/phones will no longer be allowed in the classroom
 However, I am tired of the sneaky texting, selfie taking, and general annoyance when kids decide to break my already lenient cell phone rules. 

Starting this fall, if students are caught "illegally" using their phone and breaking classroom law, it will be taken and put into "Cell Jail"

Once I confiscate the contraband it will be placed in jail and the student will be given a parole card. The parole card will explain the cell phones "sentence" depending on how many times they have committed the offense

  1. If it is their first offense, I will be lenient and give the phone back after class. 
  2. If it is their second offense, they will get their phone back at the end of the day. 
  3. If it is their third (or beyond) offense: Their phone will be taken to the office. 


To make my jar I used (all from Wal Mart):
  1. A square shaped hinge jar 
  2. Black electrical tape
  3. Pink sparkly skull stickers
  4. Silver alphabet letters



 





 Vista Print Template for Parole Cards:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Teaching Point of View with Video Games

I was looking for new ways to introduce point of view and I stumbled across a GREAT idea! Using video games! There are tons of video games in different points of view. Halo=First person point of view Mario 64= Second person point of view Tomb Raider=Third person limited point of view The Sims=Third person omniscient point of view A great video overview that I found:

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...