Skip to main content

The seaweed isn't always greener....

I learned an important lesson this last year...


The seaweed isn't always greener.

Almost exactly one year ago (tomorrow I believe) I accepted a job teaching at a new school. 

I thought that this move was going to be a positive one. 

Simply put....it was not. 

7 months and 5 days later I decided to adjust accordingly. 

I decided back in February that that school was NOT the place for me and decided that I would not renew my contract there come hell or high water. 

I loved my kids there. They were some of the best kids I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

BUT...

Everything else practically killed me. 

Everything I liked about education, creating, presenting, and even breathing was beaten out of me. 

I'm sure that you guys noticed that I didn't blog or most new products for practically a year. The idea of doing ANYTHING was an insurmountable task. 

I think I have finally had enough time to move beyond all that, and finally feel like I am back on track. 

I've started writing and creating and looking forward to ACTUALLY teaching again!

I have a long list of new things I want to do in my classroom next year, which means a lot of work, but it doesn't feel like WORK anymore....especially creating things to order on VistaPrint (Although is it  just me or do they not have many deals anymore....or am I just missing them?). 

I hope that you all had a better school year than me and that you are still hanging around here! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...