Skip to main content

Using Calm Down Bottles in the Classroom

So I have been spending a lot of time on Pinterest looking at pictures of calm down sensory bottles and have been dying to make ALL THE BOTTLES. 

I used them in my classroom last year and they worked great!

I have a couple of steadfast rules for myself when it comes to classroom management. If at ALL possible I like to deal with the problem behavior myself. As soon as I have someone else handle a situation, the student has more power. 

I also prefer to handle problem behavior as quietly and unobtrusively as possible. A lot of the time, a student will act out MORE if they know they will get attention for doing so.  


Enter calm down bottles!



When to use:
1. If you see that student is having an off day.

2. If you realize that a student’s behavior is about to escalate.
3. If a student is particularly unfocused.
4. These are also great for students with special needs/autism.


How to use:
At the beginning of the year, I introduce my students to the concept of the calm down bottle (I call them “Chill Out Bottles” in my room so it seems less childish). I do this so that I know they understand the concept and are not surprised if one ends up on their desk.


When the situation arises, I would calmly walk over to the student in question and silently place the bottle on the student’s desk. No conversation or further attention is necessary. 



Because you have to buy so many materials up front in order to make just one, they can get pretty pricey. Even though I have been dying to make all the bottles, I couldn't justify the cost of the materials. What I finally decided to do was to go ahead and get all the materials and make doubles of the bottles I want in my classroom. Then I decided to sell the remaining bottles to you guys!










 
 







Close-ups of the bottles (I love to look at them myself)






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...