Skip to main content

Free Back to School Escape Room


I am obsessed with escape rooms! They are so much fun! I wish that I could do one every day. On my spring break trip to Atlanta I was able to do three in one day and it was super exhilarating!


I deiced that I wanted to create one for my students to do on the first day (or days) back in school. 



Answer guide and walkthrough
  
     1.    Start by showing a “Meet the Teacher” prezi and remember to tell kids to pay close attention because the answers will come up in a game they are about to play.
a.     Meet your teacher template: https://prezi.com/d5hg7g7awxar/meet-your-teacher/
b.     My prezi as a reference: https://prezi.com/l2-lbp0-uwsz/meet-ms-potter/
     2.    Divide the class into 4 groups.
     3.    Give each group a copy of their answer sheets. 
     4.    Give each group a copy of their maze and tell them to begin.
           Mazes:
                       Group 1 Maze- In what state was your teacher born?
                       Group 2 Maze- What is your teacher's first name?
                       Group 3 Maze- At what college did your teacher go to school?
                       Group 4 Maze-What is your Teacher's favorite book?

      a.  Make sure that you added what letter they should be counting on their answer sheet. I don’t know your answers so I couldn’t predetermine it for you.
b.     Each answer # in group order will give them the combo to the first lock box
    5.    Inside the locked box will be “Get to know classmates BINGO”
a.     Once each group has completed at least one BINGO they will bring the paper to you and receive a blank grid sheet.   
    6.    Students will need to follow the directions on the answer sheet to draw the describe scenes.
a.     The directions the students have to go will contribute to the directional lock.
b.     The DIRECTIONS (up, down, right, left) ONLY not how many squares they moved.
c.     Groups 1 & 3 contribute even directions and groups 2 & 4 contribute odd directions.
     7.    Once students have opened the directional lock they will find “School Supply Inferences”
b.     You will need to write down which questions they are focusing on and what number they need to divide by to get a single digit number.
c.     Each # in group order will give them the combo to the third lock box.
     8.    Inside the lock box will be copies of your school’s calendar.
a.     Students will answer the questions on their answer sheet using the calendar.
b.     You will need to determine what number they will divide by to get a single digit number.
c.     Each # in group order will give them the combo to the fourth lock box.     
9    9.    Students will solve the pigpen cipher to reveal a quote. (Answers)
a.     Each quote repeats the word “LEARN” which I programmed into a word lock.
     10.   Inside the lock box are bags of seemingly blank puzzle pieces and black light flashlights.
a.     You should have already written syllabus/agenda questions on the blank puzzles. Each answer needs to be a NUMBER. (Example: How much did tests contribute to your grade?)
b.     Students will put the puzzles together and use the black lights to see the questions.
c.     Make sure you put down the number they need to divide by!
d.     Each # in group order will give them the combo to the fifth lock box.
     11.  This final lock box will contain a key.

a.     I use a suitcase with a lock, but you can use whatever you want. Inside the suitcase I have little treats like lollipops!

Supplies I used (Click on the pictures)








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...