Skip to main content

Mastery Checklists for Literary Terms


I am thinking about implementing something new in my classroom. What's that you ask? I'll be happy to tell you!

Mastery Checklists

I think that students no longer understand how to study or how one learns. The mastery checklist will help combat that. 

For each new set of literary terms I introduce to the class they will get a mastery checklist. 

The check list will contain I can statements so that students know exactly what and how they will be tested. Whenever students have extra time I will tell them to practice their mastery checklists with a partner. If the paper says that the student will be able to define simile, then they should practice doing so. This will also teach them how one studies!

Participation will be the same with each checklist (see below)

I then list the activities that we will be completing with this unit. Students will be able to calculate their classwork grade themselves (I grade classwork based on completion). 

For the quiz I will ask the students the questions from the I can statements at the top. I will use examples from the classwork for students to answer. 

I think the testing part is self explanatory. 

This is what two of my checklists look like!






Click the pictures below to see the units discussed here!
         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...