Skip to main content

Sequencing and Plot Diagram Activity


I don't know about you kids, but my kids suck at sequencing. I think it is because they don't pick up on transitional cues very well. Whatever the cause I knew that I needed to go back to the basics this fall. I've decided that I am going to:

1. Buy a few picture books that have a clear path:



2. Count the number of pages in the books
3. Number the pages randomly in sharpie 

 
4. Write down the random order numbers from start to finish for an answer key. Trust me and do it NOW. 
5. Gently take the books apart

6. Determine the plot diagram of each book
7. Place the deconstructed books separate ziplock bags

7. Sit back and watch my diligence pay off

What will happen is that I will split my class into their learning groups. Each group will get a deconstructed picture book. They will need to reconstruct the book from start to finish and determine the plot diagram of the book. When each group is done they will switch books with another group.

Here is an example the sheet my kids will have and the answer key that I have created for two books so far.

Order by kmpotter05 on Scribd



Random Question: Am I in the minority by thinking that Love You Forever is a creepy books

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Say what? Inference Oops

So I got my first cold of the teaching season. It is too early in the year to call in sick because I am trying to keep my routines and authority in place. I have been barreling through with this cold all week.  We started learning about inference this week. For the most part it has been going well.  We read "Made out of Meat" and then made inferences about the story.  The story is a conversation between two beings and their discussion about these beings they have just encountered who are, "Made out of meat."  The reader needs to infer that the being having a conversation are aliens and the beings made out of "meat" are humans. An adaptation of the story if you are interested: At the end of the story the aliens decide that they are going to, "Pretend like no one is home," and leave without making contact.  One of the inference questions I asked my students was, "Why were the aliens going to pretend like no one is home?" One block of my s...

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...