Skip to main content

Ted Ed Talks for the English Classroom

So I have decided that I would like to start ending all of my classes with a Ted talk or a Ted Ed talk. I have been compiling lists of both that would be great for the English classroom.


I thought I would share a sampling with you guys of some of the Ted Ed Talks that I have found. 

Check it out:

The power of a great introduction - Carolyn Mohr


The world’s most mysterious book - Stephen Bax


How to write descriptively - Nalo Hopkinson


How to build a fictional world - Kate Messner


What makes a hero? - Matthew Winkler


Plato’s Allegory of the Cave - Alex Gendler


What "Orwellian" really means - Noah Tavlin


What makes something "Kafkaesque"? - Noah Tavlin


How to recognize a dystopia - Alex Gendler


Insults by Shakespeare



If you are interested in the full list of 100 different Ted Ed Talks for the English classroom click the image below!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1,000 Pens update

My 1,000 pens came in the mail! I thought I would show you guys what they look like! Want your own cheap box of 1,000 pens? Click Here   To read that blog post On a side note I found an awesome recipe that I made tonight with Basil from my garden. I liked it so much I thought I would share it with you! Tomato, Mozzarella, Quinoa, and Basil Salad

Teaching Point of View with Video Games

I was looking for new ways to introduce point of view and I stumbled across a GREAT idea! Using video games! There are tons of video games in different points of view. Halo=First person point of view Mario 64= Second person point of view Tomb Raider=Third person limited point of view The Sims=Third person omniscient point of view A great video overview that I found:

Survivor Symbolism

So I have been watching old episodes of "Survivor" lately and it dawned on me that it would be a good way to do a quick review of symbolism along with a little activity.  At the start of every single tribal council the host, Jeff Probst, says, "Fire represents life on the island." I plan to ask my students why they think "Survivor" chose fire to symbolize life and how it symbolizes life.  I found a supercut of all the times that JP said, "Fire represents life" and plan to show part of it to my kids (Or all of them if I feel like really hitting the point home). I will then discuss with them the fact that at the end of each tribal council after someone is voted off the island they snuff out their torch. I will ask students what the symbolism of this is, why they snuff out the torch, and repeat the fire represents life phrase.  Here is a supercut of "The tribe has spoken"  As a quick little review activity I will ask students to come up wi...